Long Network Shutdowns

My new Ooma will be used only at my winter home which means that the network (including my Ooma device) will be shut down for approximately 6 months each year when I leave for the summer. What will happen to my set-up, my phone number, and any calls I receive during that period?

People here report that Ooma shuts down your service after a period of non-usage.

Can’t you take your box with you?
If you have Premier service you could get a second number in the locale of your summer home.

I just did an online chat with Ooma Support and was informed that as long as I keep paying the monthly tax bill there should be no problem reconnecting with the same phone number when I return no matter how long the network was down. Does anyone have experience that contradicts this information?

They are correct. Look at this post: https://www.ooma.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=15959#p110822

“RRF” means Regulatory Recovery Fees and that’s the monthly tax you pay.

Here is the summary of the chat I held today with Ooma. Based on this, I see no reason for concern as long as the taxes get paid. It’s actually an 8 month period my network will be down. Again, anyone that thinks Ooma would cancel, please chime in here.

“You: My new Ooma will be used only at my winter home which means that the network (including my Ooma device) will be shut down for approximately 6 months each year when I leave for the summer. What will happen to my set-up, my phone number, and any calls I receive during that period?
Elinor: Even if ooma will not be connected or online when your internet shuts down for 6 mos. ooma voicemail will still work, meaning your set up and phone number stays the same.
You: In setting up I was asked to list a phone number to receive calls if the network is down and I listed my cellphone. Will any calls to Ooma be forwarded to my cellphone during the long shutdown?
Elinor: So all the calls you receive during that period will be routed to voicemail which you can access remotely or online through your ooma acct.
Elinor: In setting up I was asked to list a phone number to receive calls if the network is down and I listed my cellphone. Will any calls to Ooma be forwarded to my cellphone during the long shutdown? ====That is right.
You: When I return to my winter home again and I reconnect my network will my Ooma have any set up problems at that time or will it easily be reconnected too?
Elinor: That will be easily reconnected.
Elinor: It will even automatically update any software upgrades that happened when the ooma device was connected.
You: One last question. I assume the monthly tax costs will continue even while my network is down. That is OK, but I just wanted to be sure.
Elinor: Right the tax charge will continue to keep the ooma acct active even if the internet is out.”

Sounds reasonable and fair to me.

There was one complaint back just a few weeks ago. Perhaps the people complaining of being cancelled were free subscribers and Ooma wouldn’t hold their number open without usage. Would take some digging in the posts.

I think you are talking about this thread: https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16694
In any case, even if ooma changes policy later, you’d be alright if you monitor your email.

• Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • LinkedIn icon
  • Youtube icon
  • Instagram icon
Copyright © Ooma, Inc. All Rights Reserved.